Para evitar confundir o uso dos dois verbos, veja as principais diferenças abaixo:
Hope significar esperar (ter a esperança de) que algo aconteça no futuro, imaginando que seja algo possível de acontecer.
- I hope (that) you’re okay.
- I just hope we can find the right person.
- I sincerely hope that you will be successful.
- We hope to arrive around two.
- We’re hoping to travel right after the pandemic.
- I hope to be a millionaire by the time I’m thirty.
- I hope (that) she’ll like these flowers.
Wish significa que você quer que algo aconteça ou seja verdade, embora seja impossível ou improvável de acontecer. O tempo verbal das orações seguintes ao verbo wish são no passado (simples ou perfeito).
- I wish I were taller.
- I wish I hadn’t eaten so much.
- We wish you could be here.
- It rained every day. I do wish I hadn’t gone there for my holidays.
- I wish you didn’t have to work so hard.
Wish também tem o sentido de desejar algo a alguém.
- I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- They wished me all the best in my new job.
- I wish you good health and happiness.
Em linguagem mais formal, também é possível usar “wish to” no sentido de “want to” (querer).
- ‘I don’t wish to see him ever again,’ she said, five months after they were married.
- I don’t wish to interrupt (your conversation), but your children are having a fight.
Existe a expressão idiomática “I/You wish!” no sentido de “Quem me dera”
- ‘You’ll have finished by tomorrow.’ ‘I wish!’
- A job at the BBC? You wish!
Choose wish or hope below.
a. If you ___________ to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me.
b. We ___________ that more women will decide to join the course.
c. I ___________ I didn’t have to go to work today.
d. I ___________ that I could afford a new car.
e. Let’s just ___________ someone finds her bag.
f. He ___________ Emily were with him.
g. Joan’s ___________ to study law at Harvard.
h. Sometimes I ___________ I had never been born.
i. I ___________ I had paid more attention in class.
j. I ___________ that the weather will be fine.
k. I ___________ I were younger.
l. I ___________ that I can pass my exam.
m. We ___________ them every happiness in their new home.
n. I ___________ the rain stops soon.
a. wish; b. hope; c. wish; d; wish; e. hope; f. wished; g. hoping; h. wish; i. wish; j. hope; k. wish; l. hope; m. wish; n. hope.